September 18, 2013

Beer Review: Buffalo Bill's Strawberry Blonde

Serving Type: Bottle

ABV: 5.2 percent

Appearance: This had a dark golden blonde, yet interesting color. It had a fogginess that appeared to have some thickness to it. There was hardly any head. If anything, there was a thin layer of white bubbles. I wouldn't have even called it foam. It didn't really deserve to be called as such. This, in turn, didn't leave much lacing on the insides of the glass. Still, there were a few bubbles to be noticed within the fog of the brew.

Smell: I took note of plenty of sweet and tart strawberries. This nailed about 50 percent of the fruit deal for me. Tart fruit in beer is a definite plus. This is arguably one of the best and appetizing strawberry aromas I;ve come across in trying different beers.

Taste: The strawberry content of the beer scored points with me once again. I got tart fruit flavor all of the way across my tongue. The forward portions sensed some yeastiness and sweet malt. The ginger was present about mid-way back, but left my taste buds in confusion. Not much of a hop bite, which I'm very fine with. Most sips did leave me with a sticky residue on my lips which I found annoying.

Overall Rating:  photo RatingIcon1_zps0e61d2c9.png photo RatingIcon2_zpsff51de97.png photo RatingIcon3BW_zps33c6fb82.png photo RatingIcon4BW_zps114f02d0.png photo RatingIcon5BW_zpsa8503bce.png

I really enjoyed the use of strawberry in this brew. The ginger provided for something creative, but I just didn't see how the taste fit in with the strawberry. The beer felt a little weak and lacked texture. Like I said earlier, the strawberry did keep me wanting more. I've been really hard on craft brews that use strawberries. I actually like the strawberry aspect in this, just not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment