March 4, 2014

That Settled Matters in His Mind

Continuing back on the Civil War theme from late last week, which has been known to make a few appearances on this blog once in a while. I usually plan on making a week's worth of posts relating beer/drinking to Gettysburg when we get closer to the anniversary each year, but I had a slight epiphany over the weekend and that was once again on the topic of Pennsylvania heroes and whether or not they should have a beer named after them today.

A lot of people don't know it, but John F. Reynolds is one of the more important Pennsylvanians to ever call the Commonwealth home. Born in Lancaster in 1820 and rose to the commander of the First Corps of the Federal Army before falling on the first day at Gettysburg at the age of 42.

Historians argue that he was one of the main people that saw the value of the Gettysburg terrain and was integral in the armies meeting there for one of the most epic clashes on North American soil. One of the most recent books I've read claimed that Reynolds is pretty much the one that decided the field. I've mentioned Allen Guelzo's book The Last Invasion a number of times on this blog. Here's one of my favorite passages around the time of the supposed meeting at the Seminary Cupola on the morning of the first day's fighting.

"That settled matters in Reynolds' mind, and he delivered to his aides a short volley of orders and messages that put the final seal on the battle. First, to Meade at Taneytown, a verbal notice to be carried by Capt. Stephen Weld: "Ride at once at your utmost speed" - even if it killed his horse - "to General Meade; tell him the enemy are advancing in strong force and that I fear they will get to the heights beyond the town before I can. I will fight them inch by inch and if driven into town, I will barricade the streets and hold them back as long as possible." He then added for Meade, almost as an afterthought, While I am aware that it is not your desire to force an engagement at that point, still I feel at liberty to advance and develop the strength of the enemy. Then, to Abner Doubleday: "I will hold on to the Chambersburg Road," while "you must hold on to the Millersville Road." Third, to Otis Howard. "he had encountered the enemy in force" and Howard was "to bring your corps forward as rapidly as possible." And finally to Dan Sickles and the III Corps, even more concisely, "Tell General Sickles I think he had better come up." This would leave Meade with no choice. Once Reynolds had committed three of Meade's seven infantry corps to Gettysburg, Meade could not refuse to support him with the other four."

I mentioned earlier about the "supposed meeting" meaning that it's more likely that in the fury of the opening battles and with time of the essence that the meeting between Reynolds and John Buford didn't play out the way it's been dramatized over the years. I've always been told that Reynolds aides swore that it all transpired somewhere in the vicinity of McPherson's Ridge.

I've got goosebumps and chills upon listening to a moving piece of music or certain movies, but it's been rare to encounter such a case when it comes to reading. Well, it happened the first time I took that excerpt in. The great sons and daughters of Pennsylvania are already honored in other unique ways. William Penn is on the Quaker Oats label, Andy Warhol is one everything and Fred Rogers is still a role model to families everywhere even though he's no longer with us.

The Reynolds monument just inside the gate of the Soldiers' Cemetery.
I know we have monuments to pay homage to historical figures. Reynolds is on at least three monuments prominently at Gettysburg alone that I know of. My point here today is why not a beer?  That also brings me to another point - Shipyard brews Chamberlain Pale ale named for Joshua Chamberlain who conveniently, for my argument, was also a hero at Gettysburg and is arguably Maine's biggest hero in the war.

Why the hell not? As far as I know, there isn't one named for Reynolds among the Pennsylvania brewers as of yet. I feel that Lancaster Brewing should get first dibs. Hear me out!


No comments:

Post a Comment