January 23, 2014

Holy Thursday: Preaching to the Masses

I remember distinctly where I was when I began writing the weekly Monday Rant posts on this blog. I was in Slippery Rock University's Bailey Library complaining about malt beverages such as Mike's Hard Lemonade. Here I am two years later and I still write it for pretty much every Monday morning. It's the Monday Quarterback of the beer world. I've experimented with a couple series of posts with intentions of doing them weekly, monthly etc. Unfortunately they never caught on.

Last week, I began a simple post with some for of a biblical-sounding quote that I churned up out of thin air. I thought it entertainment enough to do it for this one, too. As I cracked a smirk I decided to try and make a weekly post called Holy Thursday. I can have some idiotic quote I made up. It can also symbolize my poor attendance at mass. Holy Thursday is actually one of the holy days in the Catholic Church. It remembers the Last Supper the week of the Easter celebration. If you have any better-sounding ideas than Holy Thursday just let me know. I'm not totally committed, but would prefer it to be some religious or medieval undertones. Alright, enough blabbering. Let's roll.

"If thou dost well as an orator, thine ale shall flow." - Nobody

I've always wondered the world would be like if we saw a hefty dose of advertisements and ad campaigns from some of out favorite craft breweries. After all, we get enough from the major brewing companies whose product we've become bored with fro the most part. You know the ads I mean. If you don't, just watch the Super Bowl next Sunday.

I'm fairly sure the disparity (at least in my area) could be due to finances. The craft market just doesn't bring in as much as the big ones do. Still, craft breweries are bringing in a fair share of money. They continue to grow.

If craft breweries haven't taken any foothold in the form of television or radio advertisement they definitely have in the form of social media. Interacting on a personal level with customers and fans. I mean just take a look at some of the breweries you follow. They retweet cool pictures we take. Most are punctual in terms of getting back with responses to inquiries. One of the best here in Pittsburgh is East End Brewing. Take a look.


There's plenty more where that came from. I'd link or screen cap something to one of the major brewer Twitter accounts, but I just peaked at the Budweiser one and there's nothing. No questions answered. No retweets of anything. No interactions with any other breweries. No personality at all. The craft breweries might not ever catch the majors in terms of financials, but they've sure got them on the battlefield that is the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment