March 17, 2014

Monday Rant: That Jar Belongs to Mason

I overcame my fear of the frozen glassware on Friday night and indulged in what Morgantown, W. Va. had to offer in the night life department. My sister insisted that I try Mario's Fishbowl and took me to the original spot as there are now two locations in the metro area down there.

A "fishbowl."
Where I went to school, we knew a fishbowl as an actual fishbowl that the bartenders would mix a giant cocktail and toss in a handful of straws for our group to communally drink. My sister's endorsement of the place was "you've got to try a fishbowl!" Little did I know that a fishbowl in Morgantown was an interestingly-shaped glass of beer. It looked to me like a giant goblet. Something you'd see in King Arthur's court or at least something of the sort.

I've been aware for years  that craft hasn't fully taken over Morgantown as of yet. Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is what they consider fancy beer. I also noticed an appearance of some Goose Island while visiting. Even fancier to those in Morgantown even though it has dropped in value to some of us that consider ourselves more versed in craft. To put it simply, Mario's Fishbowl was a great hole-in-the-wall place. Beer wasn't bad by our standards and the wings were right up there with the best I've ever had. The city is still growing in terms of more creative beer. I also noticed two brewpubs, but I didn't think to write or record the names. One was coal themed. There's definitely potential down there.

I had a night and an entire afternoon the next day to enjoy the remainder of my stay. So, we stopped in a local liquor store and bought a Goose Island 12-pack variety. I'm sure the W. Va shops are state run, to. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, one thing about those I still know in that state is that they use Mason Jars for more than just jarring/canning. In a lot of cases, including my own family, they're used as everyday drink ware. One of the things in the craft community I've never understood is the obvious disdain for the Mason Jar. I'm a stubborn and spiteful person, Thus, I poured almost every beer I had down there into a Mason Jar.

A lot of folk can't seem to decide on which is worse for beer - the jar or the shaker pint glass you see in almost every bar in the country. I still argue that a brewery coming out with a glass that's specifically for a beer that boasts a single flavor (i.e. the Dogfish IPA glass) is worse for beer than the Mason Jar and shaker pint are combined.

Beer and some of it's sub-styles are rooted in geography in some cases. When in a country area why not drink beer from a Mason Jar? A real Mason Jar has the curvature in the upper portions of the glass. Very similar to witbier and goblets. All three of these curvatures can help to concentrate aromas as well as cradling heads of beer.

After all, the stimulation that glasses can have between assorted beers is only minimal. I believe that the only thing that can be dramatic is the aesthetic value and pleasure. Beers can look different, or even prettier, in certain vessels.

No comments:

Post a Comment